A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games can you play In One Week?
What did I play this week?
- I played an online game of D&D Adventurers League on Fantasy Grounds, ran a session of our D&D campaign, and I played a bit of volleyball (sportsball) and Tail Feathers last Friday.
What happened to me in gaming this week?
- Misdirected Mark had another great show I did not listen to because I was having too much fun talking with everyone in the chatroom. If I could make that a weekly commitment… there would be much wife aggro in my life, heh. Upon listening later, I think that Chris and Phil brought up great points and created some really great new definitions. Those are extremely useful when I am trying to explain things to other gamers as a common frame of reference. I am looking forward to next time I can chat with everyone, and I am looking forward to the T-shirt Senda!
- Even though Brett and Sean both like D&D, I think they really maligned and undersold D&D this week on Gaming and BS. The episode on investigation was good, but I felt it was a little more scattered than usual, with Brett doing all the talking and Sean doing all the listening. Regardless, the Wisconsin boys are always amusing and they never disappoint in the entertainment department. I am looking forward to next episode about GUMSHOE–Brett speaks highly of the system–and for the live BS’ing day.
- Monday D&D night went well. The group was given a choice between exploration/investigation or combat–guess which one they selected? I was really inspired to write over the weekend, so I had completely different two scenarios prepared by Monday’s game. They had some combats with githyanki and a ballista, and a gish and her nightmare. I also talked about it later with a couple of players about how they are not playing as a party or cohesive unit and it is getting them swatted around like insects.
- Cornerstone TableTop Day–shameless plug–is coming along nicely. We spread the web of promotion to a few new places and the Game Masters (GMs) are falling into place. A schedule of events will be up next week and tournament signup should be ready.
Where did my money go this week?
- I will begin backing both podcasts above on Patreon this month, they earned it. They are highly informative and entertaining–all my griping about minutiae aside. I am also looking at a few Kickstarter projects, but I will report on that once it happens–hopefully our colorful Canadian money means something against the U.S. dollar again before I do!
What did I miss this week?
- I am behind on Critical Role and YouTube subscriptions again, my guilty pleasure. I have not listened to Talking TableTop yet either, sorry JimBot—L5R for you. Oh yeah, I missed Down with D&D as well, have to listen to it later!
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- Sometimes it is not a big gaming announcement that catches my attention. What got me the most excited this week was Dark Sun. Specifically that Robert Adducci followed Cornerstone TableTop on Twitter and one of my co-organizers read Robert’s profile and mentioned Athas.org to me. My brain went into a frenzy–Daag and I have nearly completed a chapter for a 5th Edition conversion, starting with equipment. I really like the setting, in case anyone was wondering.
I hope you enjoyed my gaming roundup! What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?