A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games can you play In One Week?
What did I play this week?
- Finally finished a very long online D&D Adventurers League game. Pushing hard to get my character to Tier 3, but online games are difficult for multiple reasons. There will be lots more D&DAL stuff happening in the next weeks.
- Monday night gaming is back to Out of the Abyss! This week we entered Gravenhollow… and talked a bit about the next campaign for the group. Somehow, they managed to get themselves into trouble and dire situations in an area that is protected from violence. If you have been following the stories about Draek, you can see what kind of recklessness the party gets into.
- Last week I said that I got lost with Misdirected Mark. This week I went back and listened to Clocks and Fronts—excellent material. I do not want to expand too much on what they said–which is always on point and so well-organized–but even though they mention other podcasts that review games, I would always default to Chris and Phil for their opinions before anyone else. I do not always agree 100%, but their analysis always helps to structure out my own responses. Oh, and the chatroom was awesome as always, thanks Bob! If you have a question, it is the Bob who has the answer!
- I do not listen to Gaming and BS for structured conversation–in case anyone was wondering. I listen to them because they are awesome. When they are on, there are great ideas thrown around. When they are off–but still talking to each other–they are just hilariously all over the place. Starting the RPG Campaign was more a commentary about social contracts–completely not what I was expecting–but really nailed home good points. It is just has to be done their way.
- I just watched the new Civil War trailer last night. I am #TeamIronMan. Marvel is my master now!
What happened to me in gaming this week?
- I started using Facebook. Okay, not really–but I started using it to coordinate and check in on gaming, especially D&D Adventurers League materiel. Visionary is also expanding our presence into Facebook slowly. I started using Google+ as well–getting to know the community is important.
- I realized that after listening to Gaming and BS and Misdirected Mark for the past few weeks, I need to re-write my article on Writing and Gaming and there is an article about social contracts using Chris Perkins‘ The Dungeon Master Experience, Gaming and BS, and Misdirected Mark as sources for the essay swirling in my brain. How do I references for a podcast? Heh. I am not planning to write any GM advice book, but structured writing helps.
Where did my money go this week?
- Does an iPad Pro count as gaming material?
- Cornerstone TableTop Day took most of my time and gaming money this week. We got new business cards, sponsors, presenters, volunteers, task lists, expectations, Geek & Sundry partnership, emails–non-stop this week and I was already busy beforehand. The communications director of Cornerstone was jaw-wide-open when we told her our pre-registration numbers and expectations. I think we freaked her out.
What did I miss this week?
- I am now behind on Talking TableTop, She’s a Super Geek, and the Official D&D Podcast. Sorry! I know Jim has a bunch of great co-hosts in queue, I am really curious. Also, my podcasts are all scrambled when I try to listen to Senda and Emily. I completely forgot what I listened to Down with D&D this week, I need to go back.
- Thank goodness Critical Role was on hiatus, I am nearly caught up. It probably means I am behind on my chores too…
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- Dungeon Master Quests–as a gamer, I cannot ignore the obsessive compulsive need to complete gamer achievements. Not only is it bragging rights, but we really want to fill out everything and *ding*! Now they are rewarding us the hardest working DMs and making the “chair” more enticing and lucrative. Pascal got to take a picture with my DM Quests Card. I think people like him!
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?