A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games can you play In One Week?
What did I play this week?
- #Chatroom4Life! What a great way to start off the week, listening to Misdirected Mark LIVE! Episode 200 was very nostalgic–for them, I am a newer listener–and very touching. The old bumpers were hilarious and it was very interesting to listen to them talk about the evolution of the show. Even though Chris and Phil have been at it for about 100 episodes already, I feel them only just scratching the surface of what they are capable of–and yes, that is a professional opinion, not just a gamer one. Congratulations! I cannot wait for the Patreon to begin! If you are not already a fan, trust me that these guys will make you a better game master for the listening.
- I was incredibly impressed with Gaming and BS this week–more so with Brett than Sean, sorry! For the past few weeks, the Wisconsin boys have really stepped up their podcasting. Their banter is always amusing, but there was a switch flipped a little while ago. The recent shows have really done so amazing with content and questions. Especially the questions. The way that Brett was asking questions and phrasing his concerns on the latest episode was incredible. You guys are doing great! I cannot pressure you all enough to go listen and enjoy!
- Down with D&D was great as always. Strangely enough, my wife actually listened to a bit of it in the car–she remembered hearing the part where they did not want to spend 20 minutes arguing about rules before playing a game. While I am not a game designer, I find that my opinions often echo Chris and Shawn a lot, but it is good to hear that being said aloud. Also, now that the podcast is ahead of me in Out of the Abyss, I can benefit from their analysis before I run the chapter. I would definitely like to see more D&D breakdown and insights, maybe review a few favorites from DMs Guild! Lastly, Shawn said something about pay-what-you-want and Kickstarters that I am going to think about and elaborate in a post…
- This being a short week means I only briefly listening to She’s a Super Geek Lasers and Feelings episode, Talking TableTop—TTT for all those hip and in-the-know—and the Official D&D Podcast. I feel bad because I talk to Senda, Emily, and Jim every week during #Chatroom4Life, but then get so busy that I cannot review their shows properly.
- I finally watched Deadpool over the weekend. Even my wife loved it.
What happened to me in gaming this week?
- We got the materials for the D&D Epic Reclamation of Phlan. It is huge. I am so excited! I will write about the daunting challenge as well, but later on…
Where did my money go this week?
- Dragon of Legends by Thrive Games funded this week. I did not Kick too much money, but they are a local game company and the game looks really cute. I do wish it was on iOS–I just realize that my iPad Pro is nearly as large as my laptop screen–but I can shell out for that later.
What did I miss this week?
- Broken record again. Critical Role, I love the show, but I just cannot finish episode 43. I am not washing dishes for long enough, I guess.
- I do not know why, but I am waiting to listen to Talking Games with a little bit of a run-up. I listened to the first episode a couple weeks ago, but I am afraid of running out of content.
- Happy Easter! I spent time with my niece, so not much gaming activity. Next week is end of month for work, so it will be a gaming lite week again.
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- I am so excited to complete my Out of the Abyss campaign. I guess we nearly did with a TPK this past week, but I would like to see a satisfying thump to close the game. Also, we have a new DM stepping in to run Tyranny of Dragons when my run as DM is done this time. I spent a couple days fleshing out a character, it was fun. At the heart of it, I DM because I want to create a game that I want to play in–but ultimately means I want to play. I am looking forward to the player’s seat again. Let me tell you about my character…
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?