A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. What games are you playing In One Week?
New format this week, let us know what you think!
What happened in gaming this week?
- Writing Excuses: Fashion for Writers, with Rebecca McKinney
- Monday Night Gaming: Tyranny of Dragons | Castle Naerytar
- Gaming and BS: GM Screens
- She’s a Super Geek: One Anniversary Special
- Talking Games with Senda and Phil: Emergent Backgrounds
- Talking TableTop: Shanna Germain
- Misdirected Mark: Adventure Design with Shawn Merwin
- Critical Role: Episode 53
- Dragon Talk: Wolfgang Baur on Kobold Press
- Down with D&D: Getting Noticed
- Friday Night Games: D&D Adventurers League
What did I support this week?
- Kickstarter: Rifts® for Savage Worlds, The Queen City Conquest 2016
- Patreon: Gaming and BS, Misdirected Mark, She’s a Super Geek, Talking TableTop
What are my gaming highlights this week?
- One of my favorite things from D&D organized play campaigns is certificates. It might have started as a way to control magic items and cheating–but I consider them one of the best tactile and physical manifestation for roleplaying games, even more so than miniatures. They are rewards and they give the players an additional connection to their character. So even though I am not running a campaign and I have no plans in the near future to do so, I spent all my free and gaming time this week on Photoshop designing and at Staples testing paper.
- I need a week off just to re-listen to Gaming and BS and Misdirected Mark and write. Writing is one of the active skills I am trying to develop at the moment–hence the blog–so when I hear great topics or quotes or one-liners in the car listening to podcasts, I really regret being unable to record for later mental processing. While essay articles are generally my shtick, the writers of Visionary are starting on some campaign design in the near future.
- I thought I heard an actual *click* on Gaming and BS this week. Sean and Brett were on fire–banter was great, anecdotes were useful, definitions and explanations were spot-on–that show would have no use for a flame thrower, the Wisconsin boys have built their bonfire. I know I often have much praise for Gaming and BS, but if you start listening right now, you are hearing the best they have ever been.
- I missed about half of the #Chatroom4Life and Misdirected Mark live recording this week–my wife’s sister and niece are here from Vancouver to visit this week–and I feel I missed out on part of my life this week. It was great to see Shawn on the show, I really appreciate his insight and humor on Down with D&D. However, I really think that the show was very rough this week. Four game designers and writers in one room and I think they focused too much on the definitions–which I love, do not get me wrong–instead of their personal experience in adventure design. They had some great insights and tips, but it did not feel coherent. Really one of my favorite shows and best advice in gaming podcast circles–but I would like to see narrower topics in future Misdirected Mark episodes, where the definitions at the beginning of the show are still prevalent at the end. However…
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- Please please PLEASE join us on Tuesdays in the #Chatroom4Life! We are supposed to be there to listen to Chris, Phil, and Bob as they record Misdirected Mark live. However, it turns out we are a bunch of ridiculous people basically playing a text-based writer’s table roleplaying game online. Please observe proper protocol when addressing Her Royal Majesty when you arrive in the #Chatroom4Life or suffer her #OneGoodRightHook. There were many titles and knighthoods bestowed in the realm. I am disappointed that I cannot meet these people in person at Gen Con–maybe AcadeCon in the fall. Oh, and do not miss the aftershow, that is a hilarious time!
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?