A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games are you playing In One Week?
What happened in gaming this week?
Where did my money go this week?
- Kickstarter: Rifts® for Savage Worlds
- Patreon: Gaming and BS, Misdirected Mark, She’s a Super Geek, Talking TableTop
- A wedding gift for a friend… may he never have to use it!
What are my gaming highlights this week?
- She’s a Super Geek was great this week–also the least I have ever heard Her Majesty laugh and giggle. Ever. Great editing, great sound, great focus. I am still curious how to the mechanics of the game work, but that was really good entertainment. There is a reason that SASGeek and Critical Role are the only Actual Play ‘casts on my list, give them a listen.
- Gaming and BS got me thinking about collecting. I love playing different games, but I would not consider myself particularly polygamerous nor personally have an extensive collection of roleplaying games. My shelf holds just as many board games–which I enjoy, but I am not passionate about. But seeing the pictures of Alex’s collection, I cannot be anything but impressed. It is impressive because of the passion and drive behind the collection. This is the reason I believe that gamers can make a huge difference in this world. If we can have such drive for our games, that same enthusiasm can be harnessed to other local or world changing pursuits.
- vectr1c and I went out for food and drink on Thursday–during the Raptors game, oops–and spent the entire time talking about D&D. Yep–at a noisy local bar, while the sportsball game was blaring in the background, I yelled over the commotion about which feat Velkyn was going to take, what the next campaign might entail, and what game to back next on Kickstarter. Bars aren’t just for–well, whatever people usually do–any more. Heh.
- You may notice I have no review of Misdirected Mark this week… that is because the podcast–and perhaps some of the network as well in the future–is getting their own in-depth review column! Look for it at Tuesday 2:45 PM–coincidentally 6 hours before the #Chatroom4Life! This moves the Tyranny of Dragons commentary back to Mondays.
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- Savage Rifts closed out with 4,237 backers and over $438,000 on Kickstarter–and practically no one I know bought it! Maybe this goes back to what I heard on Gaming and BS about collecting, heh. I am so excited to get my hands on the book again, if for no reason but to read the story and immerse back into that setting again. That reminds me of what happened first time I ever got into Rifts–all books, no play! So did I waste money on this purchase? I knew that this was a possibility when I backed the game, I knew there was a possibility I would never play the game. Regardless, I upgraded my pledge into getting every book and the hardcovers. I may never convince our Monday night group to try something different–we all complain about being old and senile, and frankly, we like playing D&D–but I am really happy to have Rifts on my shelf soon. Maybe I need to get to know more Savages to get my game on. Let me know in the comments below if you are playing!
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?