A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games are you playing In One Week?
What happened in gaming this week?
Where did my money go this week?
What are my gaming highlights this week?
- Monday was an all-day session of D&D Adventurers League with my Tier 3 character. We played over 7 hours and we are past halfway. While the module is interesting so far, I do not like the mechanical design behind it. Penalizing parties for taking a short rest tells me that the writer does not have the best sense of how the game works. Our warlock had 4 spells to cast, my cleric had 17–short rest abilities become long rest abilities. Hit dice are the resource measurement of how long or often a party can fight–but not if they can never be used. I feel this is a failing of many module writers not understanding the effects of pacing and flow and mechanics of the game. D&D spent years developing mechanics–figure out how they work!
- Gaming and BS once again surprised me with a strange topic–and they really nailed it. I was understandably hesitant to hear what Brett and Sean had to say about this, but I managed to glean a couple ideas and tips to apply to my own thoughts and game mastering. The episode was a bit more rambling–but I think that this was not a very focused topic, so it was to be expected. Again, great anecdotes, and great back and forth between Sean and Brett as they drove around their points-of-view. Great work, always entertaining!
- I always forget to upload our articles to Facebook, since the system is not automated to do so. The past week I uploaded four at once, then re-dated them to fit the right schedule.
- Very interesting “What’s New” segment on Down with D&D. I like listening to the insiders talk, especially since Shawn and Chris have some direct information–though it may take some alcohol to pry it from their minds. While I occasionally get the scoop on news, it is really not my forte. I am quite pleased that Down with D&D can do a summary once in a while–since the information always feels relevant and useful to me. The bit about writing adventures for your own convention… hmmm…
- As always, please tune in Tuesday for Cutting Words and the #Chatroom4Life at 8:45 PM with Misdirected Mark and the Queen!
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- An exciting and wonderful email greeted me Friday morning. 7th Sea was putting out a full preview for backers! I am reading through the Kickstarter backer preview of 7th Sea: Second Edition as I write this–it is nearly the entire book, minus a few fixes, etc. My experience with the first edition is pretty limited, but this was an exciting Kickstarter to be a part of, so I am really looking forward to the published product. Also, since John Wick will be at QCC later this year, I can get him to personally sign the book. (I apologize about the article title pun.)
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?