A lot can happen In One Week—a weekly article focusing on what gaming things interested or caught my attention in the past week. I will report on what happened in my world of gaming and give you a snapshot of what excited me in the gaming realm at large. How many games are you playing In One Week?
Please note there may be disruptions in the weekly schedules for In One Week and Cutting Words as I become a first-time parent. Thank you for your patience and understanding–and send all your comments to Alex!
What happened in gaming this week?
Where did my money go this week?
What are my gaming highlights this week?
- The first level of system mastery is to understand how characters work, so much time this week was dedicated to making Savage Rifts characters. Every time you re-iterate, you learn something. It does not substitute for actually playing, but understanding the theory is possible at the moment.
- If you have not listened to Jim McClure and Senda playing Reflections– you probably need to go back and listen to TTT, SAS Geek, and some Misdirected Mark to understand all the inside jokes–then you are missing out. Stop reading, go listen, then come back. No no, really… I’ll wait here…
- I was looking very much forward to hearing Sean and Brett’s take on character imprisonment this week. It is a very common trope in movies and TV, but nearly always a failure in roleplaying games. I like how they went back to player agency and had some great workarounds.
- Down with D&D needs to repackage the show as “D&D for the next generation”. Great insights!
- It was great to hear Tobie on TTT this week. The interview has been a long time coming, and as always, Jim handled it brilliantly. It was also interesting to listen to in light of getting to know Tobie better in the past few weeks. I am happy that they are working on Reflections together as well. Definitely do not miss the interview!
- As part of waiting–see below–we recorded an episode of Advantage to Insight in advance. I think we are honing in on that feel and groove for a smooth show and comfortable banter for the hosts. Thanks to the people who are actively responding and commenting–Chris Shorb and Space Rhino. Our next episode in August will be about actual play. Listen then for more details!
- As always, I won’t go into Misdirected Mark here, but please tune in Tuesday for a Cutting Words review and the #Chatroom4Life at 8:45 PM!
What excited me the most in gaming this week?
- Waiting is no fun. Waiting for work, waiting on people, waiting for a response, waiting rooms, waiting in line… waiting for something or someone to arrive. It is so difficult to wait, knowing you should be doing something else, but have no choice but to wait. We wait for our Kickstarter rewards to arrive, we wait for the next game session, we wait for news about the newest toy or movie, we wait for Amazon to ship… I am waiting for my daughter. I cannot wait to show her all the cool stuff in the world–games, toys, movies, comics, sports, fun–but she is keeping us waiting. For now.
What was your gaming week like?
But… what do I know…?